Volume 7, No. 1, March 2021

General Information

  • ISSN: 2395-647X (Online)
  • Abbreviated Title:  Int. J. Geol. Earth Sci.
  • Editor-in-Chief: ​Prof. Marina Fernandez de la Cruz, Department of Petrology and Geochemistry, Faculty of Geological Sciences, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain
  • Associate Editor: Sujitha R. Reddy, Savitha Darsha
  • Executive Editor: Felicia Fan
  • DOI: 10.18178/ijges
  • Abstracting/Indexing: GeoRef (Elsevier), Crossref, Google Scholar, Genamics, Eurasian Scientific Journal Index (ESJI), etc.
  • E-mail questions to IJGES Editorial Office.

Submissions

Please send your full manuscript to:

ijges@ejournal.net


Useful Documents

Paper Template

Copyright Statement

Application For Reviewers

Contact us

International Journal of Geology and Earth Sciences
E-mail: ijges@ejournal.net

Hydrogeophysical Evaluation of Parts of River Mamu Sub-Basin, Southeastern Nigeria

Emmanuel K. Anakwuba1, Chinenye M. Okolo2, Valeria C. Ahaneku2, Stella N. Chibuzor2, Nnamdi F. Odika1, and Augustine I. Chinwuko1
1.Department of Applied Geophysics, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Nigeria
2.Department of Geological Sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Nigeria

Abstract—Hydrogeophysical evaluation of parts of River Mamu Sub-Basin, Southeastern Nigeria was carried out using the Vertical Electrical Sounding technique (VES). Schlumberger array was used to acquire thirty (30) VES stations and were interpreted using software 1D-Interpex. The predominate VES curve types within the area are typically K-curves which is about 47%, whereas, the remaining 53% belongs to the other five curve types namely; KH, HK, H, Q, and KHK-curves. The calculated Da-Zarrouk parameters outcomes ranged from low to high within the study area: longitudinal conductance (0.0028-0.0571 mhom); transverse resistance (6630-10290 ohm-m2); aquifer resistivity (455-4900 ohm-m), aquifer thickness (4.70-38.00 m); depth to the aquifer (33-172 m); conductivity (0.0002-0.0022 mho. Two aquifer parameters were computed within the area namely; hydraulic conductivity (6.137-0.792 m/day) and transmissivity (1.007-20.597 m2/day). Two major aquifer systems were obtained specifically; a shallow aquifer belonging to Nanka Sands with depth (33-62m) and a far aquifer belonging to Ebenebe Sandstone with depth (69-172m). The groundwater flow paths within the study area trend predominantly in the NW-SE direction. The findings revealed that the study area possesses high groundwater potentials in some areas, hence, it is more economical to drill a borehole at the southwestern part of the study area than the southeastern part.

Index Terms—Schlumberger array, VES curve, aquifer parameters, aquifer system, Nanka Sands

Cite:Emmanuel K. Anakwuba, Chinenye M. Okolo, Valeria C. Ahaneku, Stella N. Chibuzor, Nnamdi F. Odika, and Augustine I. Chinwuko, "Hydrogeophysical Evaluation of Parts of River Mamu Sub-Basin, Southeastern Nigeria," International Journal of Geology and Earth Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 1-8, March 2021. doi: 10.18178/ijges.7.1.1-8

PREVIOUS PAPER
First page
NEXT PAPER
Last page